Kim and me

Kim and me

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tomorrow afternoon we leave for China! Kim, Amber and I are catching a flight to Chicago and then on to Beijing. This will be my first trip with Amber since we went to Munich Germany four years ago. Really, really looking forward to it.

Why is travel so important? This is a question I've been asked and I have a variation of answers.

First, I've always taken my kids on trips because its a great bonding time with them. Over twelve years ago I started taking my kids on international trips and I've relished the time spent with them while we experience new cultures and cities. Amber has personally been to Thailand, Greece, Germany, England, Italy, New Zealand, Brazil, Costa Rica and now China.

Second, Americans sometimes act as if they are the only people in the world. My kids have learned that there are other people and their feelings and lives deserve our consideration. My children will not act as the "ugly Americans".

Third, the experience. In Thailand, Amber sat with a full grown tiger in her lap. In Paris, Kim and I watched a chamber orchestra play in a thousand year old church. In Ireland, Heather and I stayed in a real castle hotel. And in Belgium, Kim, Logan, and I had lunch one Sunday with friends in Brussels. Each of the trips I've been on to over 25 countries have had memorable and special experiences.

Fourth, it is in other countries that I'm inspired to write my stories. Who knows what being in China might bring to my imagination.

How fortunate I am to have a wife who loves to travel and experience the world as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment