Kim and me

Kim and me

Friday, September 23, 2022

The largest of Spain's Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean Sea is Mallorca. Although it is not as well known as Ibiza, it is a very popular vacation spot for tourists from both Germany and England. (As I will mention a little more about later in this blog) Even though maybe not as well known, it is one of the most scenic places I have ever been and a perfect travel destination for Europeans and Americans alike.

Even though we didn't get to spend much time in the capital city of Palma, we did walk through a portion of it when we first arrived on the island. Probably the most recognizable structure is that of the Cathedral of Santa Maria Palma, which really is pretty cool with its Gothic Architecture exterior. Unfortunately, we didn't go inside because of time constraints, but the exterior is incredibly impressive, and also just a stroll from the Mallorca Hard Rock Cafe. (And by now, everyone knows about my desires to go to every HRC I can.)

Kim and Logan enjoying the Hard Rock Cafe in Mallorca Spain. Actually, the food is the same at all of them, but the ball caps are quite unique to each location.


A front view of the the Cathedral of Santa Maria Palma. In September, the weather was totally beautiful and pleasant. Most people view and take pictures of the cathedral from the side which has a portion of the Mediterranean Sea in the foreground. (We didn't walk that far) 

 


This picture of the Cathedral actually taken through a car window while going to the airport for our flight to Madrid.


View of the harbor with crew ships taken from nearby the HRC. Flowers and Palm Trees virtually everywhere we looked.






Our hotel was located on Platja de Palma Beach; an extremely long beach with British families on one end and German families on the other. I'm not sure I would recommend staying on this beach because of how crowded it was and so many better options available. But it was a good place to rent electric bicycles and explore.

Also, it was pretty central to some of the other things you may want to do. The main drawback however, as told to us by people who live there, is the Germans were always drunk and the British were falling from balconies trying to jump from one balcony to another. (probably drunk also. one individual fell to his death while we were there)


I will suggest different places to stay later which I wish I'd known about prior to booking our hotel.


Located in Palma, and one of the coolest things we did while we were in Mallorca, is the Ferrocarril de Soller. (Railway of Soller) it departs from the Palma railway station. This historical train's one-hour journey is through olive groves and beautiful scenery to the town of Soller on the northern coast with one scenic stop to take pictures.

How many people still get to ride on a wooden train? This was my only time.


 

Kim and Logan both on the train, and the scenic stop where we could disembark and take pictures. Honestly, this train was so cool, and so relaxing, it alone would have made our trip. But then, the destination of the train, even added to the experience.




Soller is absolutely historical and beautiful at the same time. After disembarking from the train, we found a place to eat lunch and experience Soller life by watching wooden trolleys pass our outdoor dining experience within feet of our table. Lunch was good, and then taking one of these trolleys to the Soller Beach was fantastic. 




Kim and Logan on the far right of this photograph. What a truly European experience. And then, the beach!





Church of Saint Bartomeu as seen from our table when the trolley was not in our way. Doesn't this look like so much fun?
Several years ago, I had a melanoma on my back. Because of this, I don't always get in the water when Kim and Logan go swimming just to protect myself. This was the case in Soller. But

Kim and Logan sure had fun in the picturesque town on the beautiful beach.

Much less crowded, and more pleasant, the beach at Soller.
Kim and Logan enjoying the Mediterranean Sea.
Just taking pictures in my sun hat for protection. I wish I'd gotten in now, but at least I did go swimming a day or two later on another beautiful beach.
Lighthouses, both old and new, in Soller, Mallorca.
The trolley passing me by to the train station of Soller.


Panoramic view of Soller Beach.



The train to Soller makes for a long day, but so rewarding! I would recommend it to anyone. Honestly, I could see Kim and I retiring someday in Soller, or maybe one of the other beautifully scenic beaches in Mallorca.




If you like to visit caves, Mallorca has their own tourist attraction to see. Drach Caves tours are available with hotel pick up and enjoyable to see. Honestly, I've been inside so many caves or salt mines, they all look the same to me and so I would probably pass on it myself at this point. Don't all caves look alike?






One cool thing about the Drach Caves was that at one point on the tour, if you wanted to, you could take a subterranean cruise on a boat to deeper inside the caves


All in all, the cave tour can be quite enjoyable if spelunking is your thing.







I mentioned prevously that you could rent electric bicycles or scooters on Platja de Palma Beach. (the most popular and crowded beach in Mallorca) The beach is so long, the electric assisted bikes are really quite fun. The scenery along the beach is spectacular, but keeps in mind it is a European beach and sometimes swimsuits may be missing.

The beach, while we were there, had several sand artisans and their work was really quite detailed.




Kim and Logan on their electric bikes, and two beautiful sunset pictures, one with a parasailer.
Really, isn't this beautiful?












On our last day in Mallorca, we rented a car so we could drive around the island. The rental process was quite easy and not really too expensive for the day. Being mobile, we were able to discover the Calas beaches which encircle the entire island. From Palma, we drove in a counterclockwise direction and were able to see a few of these unique beaches. What makes them unique, is they are generally a small beach area at the end of an inlet from the sea. They are very excluded and usually require a little hike down to them from the surface streets. Also, some of them are bathing suit optional. 


Our ride around the island of Mallorca. Pretty tight little Fiat 500 built much better than Kim's Fiat at home.
One of the many Calas we came across, but I don't remember the name of this one. It was clothing optional so we didn't stay.
Cala D'Or, a fantastic, and family oriented, Cala. We did go swimming here and the water temperature was perfect and easy to stay afloat in.
View looking back at the beach of Cala D'Or. It would be so easy to live here. The beach was surrounded by homes. 
All in all, Mallorca was a wonderful experience. I can't wait to return. Even though it is part of Spain, the island has its own identity. I don't know how it compares to other Spanish islands, but if I have the chance to visit again, I most certainly will.

For more information on my trips, or on my writing in general, visit www.chrisahale.net. There you will find Deseret News travel articles and also information on my novels and non fiction works.





No comments:

Post a Comment