Kim and me

Kim and me

Friday, September 16, 2022

 Travel Blog #1 - Helsinki Finland

    Just around six years ago, the Deseret News of Salt Lake City stopped publishing their travel section in both their online and print editions. Without a publication to submit to, I didn't write any more articles dealing with my travel experiences. 

    Honestly, I've missed it. For that reason, I've decided to continue with my articles and only publish them here on my blog. I hope you all enjoy reading them.

    This past week, my wife Kim and I flew to Helsinki, Finland. The reason we chose this destination is because Finnair flies to Finland non-stop from DFW where we live. I'm an airline employee and for that reason we fly standby and need to be selective concerning where we decide to travel; and Finnair looked the best. Definitely better than the carrier I work for.

    First, the weather was perfect the entire time we were there even though it was the second week of September. The temperatures ranged from high 40's to low 60's depending on the time of day. It was absolutely gorgeous.

    Second, Finland is as clean a place as I have ever been. The air was pristine! Even the tap water is rated the best in all of Europe. The streets of Helsinki, as well as the buildings, were clean and well kept. It was really quite impressive.

  We knew within a short time that we would someday want to return, even possibly move there for a period in our retirement.

    Before we ever arrived on our flight, we were over Greenland when we saw the northern lights for the first time in both our lives. The view, as spectacular as it was, will never be forgotten. I've wondered how many times I could have seen them while flying to Europe, but never bothered to look.





    Flights to Europe normally go so far north that the lights should be visible during the correct times of the year. These best times for viewing are in the spring and the fall.

    I can't wait to for my next vacation to Europe to see if this rings true.

    One thing I didn't know, is that you normally don't see the lights if you look straight at them. They may appear as just white thin clouds to the naked eye. In our case, this was true. But the pictures taken with my I phone were truly exciting!

    

  

        On day one in Finland, since we had not slept on the overnight flight, was a little sluggish. We first went to the LDS Helsinki Finland Temple, and then had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. Both of these things are a staple if our destination has either or both. I like to collect caps from the HRC and currently have 60.


Kim and I at the beautiful LDS Helsinki Finland Temple


Not quite so beautiful Helsinki Finland Hard Rock Cafe

    After awakening at four in the morning the next day (jetlag) we boarded the MS Finlandia for a two- hour trip to the Medieval capital city Tallinn in Estonia, one of the three Balkan states and former Soviet country. The Finlandia is operated by Eckero and the journey takes approximately two hours and one hundred miles. It is well worth the trip.

    In Tallinn is the first onion domed church Kim and I have ever seen. Although not quite as colorful as St. Basil's in Moscow, St. Aleksander Nevsky Katedraal in Tallinn is really quite beautiful. I wish they had allowed us to take pictures on the inside, but it wasn't to be. The exterior was pretty impressive as you can see.



    The best part of the cathedral was the numerous places to grab lunch while it was still in view. The interior was just as impressive, take my word for it.

    Other sights in Tallinn that we saw were the KGB Prison Cells, with its own history, the various gates through the city walls, and the spectacular view of the surroundings from the tower of St Olaf's church. The tower requiring a long journey up a set of precarious spiral stairs. Again, the journey well worth the effort. 






I have no idea what this instrument is,but had to add it to my photo blog for Tallinn. She knew how to play it well too, whatever it is.



While on the ferry back to Helsinki from Tallinn, we saw the prettiest sunset ever. Unfortunately, my photos don't really do the even justice. Overall, the ferry cruise was impressive. They had several places to eat or drink, and on the return cruise we paid for the buffet consisting of seasonal foods. Kim had caviar, reindeer liver, and all types of fish, fruits, and vegetables.




There are three other things I really want to mention that we saw/did that I recommend for anyone traveling to Helsinki.

1) A smaller ferry from Helsinki to the island fortress Suomenlinna. First built by Sweden, it most recently was used in World War 2 to defend against an attack from the sea. It consists of two islands and several buildings including an impressive church. There are World War 2 cannons pointing towards the sea on all the outer edges of the fortress. There is also a Finnish WW2 submarine that you can go inside called the Vesikko. It sank at least one Russian vessel. There are plenty of places to eat and even a small beach.





2) The rock church in Helsinki. Called Temppeliaukio, is pretty fascinating. The Lutheran church was opened in 1969 and is one of the most unusual churches to see anywhere. It's an easy one block walk from one of the stops on the hop on/hop off bus tour. It was designed in the 1930's but construction delayed due to World War 2. 





The church has a capacity of 750. The rock walls are impressive, but the copper roof is extraordinarily exquisite and heavy (I'm sure) One of the most popular tourist attractions in all of Helsinki, it is well worth a look.

3) I've saved the best for last. There are several Finnish Saunas in Helsinki. These traditional saunas are loved by residents and tourists alike. The one we visited on our last night in Helsinki is called Loyly Sauna and has three separate rooms to enjoy. The smells are fantastic, the health benefits unequaled, and the best part is you can participate with your wife. (All patrons wear swimsuits) There are adequate showers and even a pretty good restaurant.

Other places I would recommend seeing in Helsinki, but really don't have the patience to write about, are the Jean Sibelius monument with its interesting pipes, the many fantastic restaurants serving a variety of ethnic foods, seasonal treats, and even Burger King.




I recommend getting around with Uber which was actually just taxis, but very reliable and not too expensive. The best way to get to downtown Helsinki is the reliable commuter train straight from the airport, also not too expensive. 

I hope you all enjoy this article. Feel free to make comments and I look forward to seeing you all again.

Check out some of my other writing, both travel articles and even some novels from around the world at ChrisaHale.net.














 





















   










No comments:

Post a Comment